I recently went through a comfort food stage and was really craving a good ol’ American casserole. More than anything I wanted a simple broccoli recipe with cheese, so I found this recipe for a broccoli chicken casserole with cheese.
I changed the recipe up a little bit, adding more rice and less broccoli. Of course, I added more cheese. You don’t think I got these hips by skimming on the cheese, do you?
The best part about this casserole is the bread crumbs, which you add melted butter to in order to create the crunchy crust. I probably ate half of the bread crumb mixture before I threw it in the oven. It’s okay, though. I added more.
Isn’t this pretty? In order to make the casserole as simple as possible, I bought pre-cut chicken breasts from the store and cooked them up in a frying pan. Then I boiled up the broccoli (although I recommend chopping it up smaller than I did here. As you’re cooking the broccoli, you’ll want to cook the rice too. Depending on your preferences, you can add less rice and more veggies or more meat and less veggies.
Once everything is cooked, you’ll want to spray your pan with nonstick spray and then add the chicken, rice, and broccoli. Mix it up. I added some cheese here and mixed it up again. Then I added some more cheese and mixed it again.
We love our cheese around here.
Stir the soup and milk in a bowl. Add more soup if needed. Hell, add more milk if you want. This dish should be creamy–the creamier the better. Pour the soup mixture over the rice, chicken, and broccoli and stir again. Add more cheese. Or don’t. But if you do, I won’t tell the vegans.
Top the casserole with more cheese and then stir the bread crumbs and butter in a bowl. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top. It won’t necessarily spread evenly, but you can do your best.
- 2½ cups cooked broccoli florets
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cup rice
- 2 cans (10¾ ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place the broccoli, chicken, and rice into a 13 x 9 baking pan. Mix in some cheese, if preferred.
- Stir the soup and milk in a small bowl. Pour the soup mixture over the broccoli and chicken. Sprinkle with the cheese. Stir the bread crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the cheese.
- Bake at 450°F. for 20 minutes or until the chicken mixture is hot and bubbling.